Five Minute Settlement and Global Settlement
In this section
In this section
- Procedures Working Group (PWG)
- Metering package 1: Metering data
- Metering package 2: MSATS and SLPs
- Metering package 3: Miscellaneous
- Settlements package 1: Settlement Residue Auctions
- Settlements package 2: Estimations
- Settlements package 3: Miscellaneous
- Settlements package 4: Transmission Network Service Provider Negative Settlements Residue
- Settlements package 5: Prudentials - Credit Limit Procedures
- Settlements package 6: Reallocations
- Dispatch package 1: Bids/Offers
- Dispatch package 2: Pricing
- Dispatch package 3: Spot market
- Dispatch package 4: Miscellaneous
The Australian Energy Market Operator (AEMO) is working with industry to implement changes arising from an Australian Energy Market Commission (AEMC) Final Determination to implement Five-Minute Settlement (5MS) in the National Electricity Market (NEM). On 6 December 2018 the AEMC made a final rule that requires a move to a Global Settlement (GS) framework for the demand side of the wholesale electricity market.
The full commencement of 5MS, and the soft start of GS, both begin on 1 July 2021. This aligns the development of systems and procedures for both changes, reducing implementation costs. GS will fully commence on 6 February 2022. Please see this link for further details.
To implement the 5MS and the GS rule changes AEMO has established the 5MS Program, comprising the following workstreams:
- Procedures – to define the required changes to market procedures.
- Systems – to design, develop, test, and implement changes to AEMO’s market systems.
- Readiness – to coordinate, assist and prepare AEMO and the industry for the transition.
For further information about the program please visit the Program Information and Fact Sheets page.
Industry engagement overview
Engagement between AEMO and industry will be crucial to successful execution of the 5MS Program. The following diagram outlines AEMO’s approach to engagement (forums and groups specific to the 5MS Program are highlighted in yellow).
Detailed information on each workstream and the 5MS forums and groups is available by navigating to separate pages (see section on the left).
For Further Information
Please direct any queries regarding the Five-Minute Settlement (5MS) Working Groups to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Five-Minute Settlement Meetings - Annual Calendar (100 KB, pdf)
- Executive Forum
- Procedure Change for Comment
- Procedures Focus Group
- Procedures Working Group
- Program Consultative Forum
- Readiness Working Group
- Rules Procedures Consultation
- Systems Focus Group
- Systems Working Group