Stage 2 - Enquiry
Connection Applicants must submit a connection enquiry to AEMO, to:
- Help determine the most suitable point of connection.
- Clarify the information required to submit a connection application.
The enquiry stage is the first formal stage of the connection process under Clause 5.3 (transmission network connections) of the National Electricity Rules (Rules). From this point onwards, the process is prescribed by Chapter 5 of the Rules.
To make an enquiry, applicants are requested to submit a Connection Enquiry Form and any supporting information to AEMO. The connection enquiry must contain the type, magnitude, preferred location, and timing of the proposed connection to the Declared Shared Network (DSN).
Once an enquiry has been submitted, the Connection Applicant may also ask AEMO to provide transmission network data to enable the Connection Applicant to undertake connection studies.
AEMO will prepare a formal response that will typically include:
- Requirements in respect of technical studies and access standards.
- Further information required to complete an application to connect.
- Advice on fees payable to process an application to connect (please note there is no cost for submitting a connection enquiry to AEMO).
AEMO will also notify the incumbent Declared Transmission System Operator (DTSO) of the enquiry.
The Rules enable any person to fund AEMO to conduct a Scale Efficient Network Extension (SENE) study. A SENE study will identify the likelihood of multiple network users accessing transmission infrastructure, and the cost of accommodating those network users. Applicants who are interested in funding a SENE study should contact AEMO at this stage.Roles and responsibilities summary
AEMO: manages the connection process and is a primary point of contact for enquiries to connect to the DSN, receives and processes the connection enquiry, and provides transmission network data for potential applicants upon request.
Connection Applicant: submits enquiries and data request to AEMO, and progresses other project planning activities such as local, state and federal government approvals addressing matters including licensing, environmental, and land use.Documents checklist
You will require the following documents for this stage:Related guides and policies
At this stage you may find the following documents useful:
- AEMO’s Schedule of Fees and Charges for Generation Connections
- Indicative Transmission Augmentation Costs in Victoria
- AEMO’s Registration pages
- AEMO’s Network Data Provision policy
- New Transmission Generation Connection in Victoria process map (152 KB, pdf)
- Transmission Generation Alterations in Victoria process map (145 KB, pdf)
For enquiries regarding connections, please contact email@example.com