Gas Retail Markets
AEMO facilitates gas retail markets in New South Wales and the Australian Capital Territory, Queensland, South Australia, Victoria, and Western Australia.
Information published by AEMO for each jurisdiction includes:
- Procedures made under the National Gas Rules (NGR).
- Technical protocols.
- Gas Retail Consultative Forum (GRCF) information.
- Retail development projects relevant to the gas retail markets.
AEMO provides retail market services to gas industry participants and delivers the infrastructure that provides over 4.8 million gas consumers with the ability to contract for the supply of gas with any licensed retailer of their choice, and facilitates the interactions between industry participants required to support efficient operation of the markets.
There are four primary gas retail market services that AEMO administers:
- Delivery Point Management – managing the customer transfer for gas delivery points and the associated market data between retailers, and between retailers and distribution businesses.
- Balancing, Allocation and Reconciliation Management – managing the daily allocation of gas usage to retailers to enable settlement of gas supply contracts, transmission and distribution use of system contracts.
- Procedure Change Management – managing further development and improvement of the Procedures governing the operation of the retail gas markets under the auspices of the NGL and NGR and the Retail Market Procedures (WA) and Energy Coordination Act (WA)
- Operating the central IT systems that facilitate retail market services.
If you require further information about AEMO gas retail services, please email email@example.com.
Budget and fees
NSW/ACT, QLD, SA and VIC
AEMO has a broad range of functions and each is underpinned by a fee structure developed in consultation with stakeholders and in line with National Gas Rules. The fee structures detail how AEMO will calculate fees and who will be charged.
The current participant fee determination for AEMO’s gas markets is from 1 July 2015 to 30 June 2018. AEMO’s annual budget sets out the amounts that will be charged under these fee structures. The budget provides a view of 2016–17 gas revenue and expenses, and estimates for the following four-year period.
In budgeting for 2016–17, AEMO has continued to apply strong commercial discipline to control costs to reduce the impact of fee increases to market participants.
Queensland FRC Gas stakeholder report 2016–17
17 March 2016 | 641 KB (.pdf)
New South Wales & ACT FRC Gas stakeholder report 2016–17
17 March 2016 | 642 KB (.pdf)
South Australia Gas stakeholder report 2016–17
17 March 2016 | 698 KB (.pdf)
The AEMO Board sets WA gas retail market fees in accordance with Part 8.1 of Chapter 8 of the Retail Market Procedures (WA). AEMO operates on a cost-recovery basis only (not-for-profit company) and generates revenue from the WA Gas Market Participants to cover the capital and operating costs associated with administration of the Procedures in four forms namely Registration Fee, Annual Fee, Market Share Charge and Additional Service Charge.
Queensland FRC Gas stakeholder report 2015–16
28 May 2015 | 725 KB (.pdf)
New South Wales & ACT FRC Gas stakeholder report 2015–16
28 May 2015 | 765 KB (.pdf)
South Australia Gas stakeholder report 2015–16
28 May 2015 | 758 KB (.pdf)
Queensland FRC Gas stakeholder Final report 2014–15
15 May 2014 | filesize: 623 kb (.pdf)
New South Wales & ACT FRC Gas stakeholder Final report 2014–15
15 May 2014 | filesize: 653 kb (.pdf)
South Australia Gas stakeholder Final report 2014–15
15 May 2014 | filesize: 644 kb (.pdf)