Media Statement - Loss of generation in South Australia
- Initial operation of the Hornsdale Power Reserve Battery Energy Storage System
- Generator Registration and Connection in the NEM – A Roadshow
- Advice to the Commonwealth relating to AGL’s proposal to replace Liddell
- AEMO observations: operational and market challenges to reliability and security in the NEM
- AEMO publishes Quarter Energy Dynamics – Q4 2017
- AEMO publishes Power system requirements paper
March 03, 2017 - 5:48 PM
The Australian Energy Market Operator (AEMO) can confirm the instantaneous loss of multiple generating units in South Australia this afternoon. AEMO has not directed load shedding as a result of this incident. The cause of the loss of generating units is under investigation.
AEMO does not forecast a supply/demand imbalance within the state, however if consumers can safely reduce their electricity consumption during periods of high demand, this can ease the supply/demand balance and can mitigate the need for load shedding.
AEMO can also confirm the planned maintenance scheduled for tomorrow on the Victorian transmission network, specifically the Moorabool-to-Mortlake transmission line, has been postponed to support the secure operation of South Australia.
AEMO continues to closely manage the power system and will provide a further update as more information is available.
For AEMO media enquiries, please contact:
AEMO media enquiries
0409 382 121
Please click here for a PDF version of this media release.