ElectraNet Managing the Risk of Transformer Bushing Failure PACR summary
In this section
In this section
- Powerlink Queensland - Project Assessment Conclusions Report - Maintaining reliability of supply to the Rockhampton area
- Powerlink Queensland PACR addressing the secondary systems condition risks at Woree Substation
- Powerlink Queensland PACR to maintain power transfer capability and reliability of supply at Ross Substation
- Maintaining a reliable Upper Tumut substation
- Managing safety and environmental risks from corrosion on Line 959/92Z
- Managing the Risk of Corrosion between Murulan and Dapto on Line 8
- Powerlink Queensland - Project Assessment Conclusions Report - Maintaining reliability of supply to the Brisbane Metropolitan area
- Powerlink Queensland - Project Assessment Conclusions Report - Maintaining reliability of supply at Townsville South Substation
- Managing the Risk of Corrosion between Vales Point and Sydney North on Line 22
- Powerlink PSCR Maintaining reliability of supply between Clare South and Townsville South
- SA Energy Transformation PACR
- SA Power Networks publishes Distribution Annual Planning Report
- Powerlink Queensland PACR Maintaining power transfer capability and reliability of supply at Bouldercombe Station
- Powerlink Summary Queensland PADR Maintaining reliability of supply to Rockhampton
- Powerlink PACR to address the secondary systems condition risks at Belmont substation
- Powerlink PACR to address the secondary systems condition risks at Abermain Substation
- TransGrid PSCR Managing Sydney East substation’s asset risks
- Powerlink Project Assessment Conclusions Report (PACR) to address the secondary system condition risks at Palmwoods Substation
- Project Assessment Conclusions Report – Addressing the secondary systems condition risks at Tarong Substation
- Project Specification Consultation Report - Maintaining power transfer capability and reliability of supply at Woree Substation
ElectraNet has published a Project Assessment Conclusions Report (PACR) as the final stage of an investigation of the most economic option to manage the risk of transformer bushing failure on the South Australian transmission network. This concludes the Regulatory Investment Test for Transmission (RIT-T) for this replacement expenditure (‘Repex’) assessment, as required by the National Electricity Rules clause 5.16.
There is a need to replace over 100 transformer bushings fitted on 18 power transformers across the transmission network based on their assessed condition. The bushings are located at 10 metropolitan and rural substations which are now reaching, or past, the end of their technical lives.
ElectraNet applies a risk-based approach and assesses the condition and required timing of replacement of transformer bushings as part of its ongoing asset management processes. If the identified bushings are not replaced, there is an increased likelihood that a number of these assets will fail within the next 10 years.
The PACR confirms the conclusion of the Project Specification Consultation Report issued in August 2018 that replacing the identified bushings in the next three years is the preferred option. This estimated cost of this work is $6.86 million ($2017-18).
ElectraNet has undertaken rigorous sensitivity analysis to investigate the robustness of the RIT-T assessment to the key assumptions. The preferred option was demonstrated to deliver positive net market benefits for customers and to be robust across all sensitivity tests undertaken.
ElectraNet will now commence work on replacing the identified bushings in January 2019. The PACR is available for download at www.electranet.com.au.