Powerlink Queensland - Project Assessment Conclusions Report - Maintaining reliability of supply to the Brisbane Metropolitan area
In this section
In this section
- Powerlink Queensland - Project Assessment Conclusions Report - Maintaining reliability of supply to the Rockhampton area
- Powerlink Queensland PACR addressing the secondary systems condition risks at Woree Substation
- Powerlink Queensland PACR to maintain power transfer capability and reliability of supply at Ross Substation
- Maintaining a reliable Upper Tumut substation
- Managing safety and environmental risks from corrosion on Line 959/92Z
- Managing the Risk of Corrosion between Murulan and Dapto on Line 8
- Powerlink Queensland - Project Assessment Conclusions Report - Maintaining reliability of supply to the Brisbane Metropolitan area
- Powerlink Queensland - Project Assessment Conclusions Report - Maintaining reliability of supply at Townsville South Substation
- Managing the Risk of Corrosion between Vales Point and Sydney North on Line 22
- Powerlink PSCR Maintaining reliability of supply between Clare South and Townsville South
- SA Energy Transformation PACR
- SA Power Networks publishes Distribution Annual Planning Report
- Powerlink Queensland PACR Maintaining power transfer capability and reliability of supply at Bouldercombe Station
- Powerlink Summary Queensland PADR Maintaining reliability of supply to Rockhampton
- Powerlink PACR to address the secondary systems condition risks at Belmont substation
- Powerlink PACR to address the secondary systems condition risks at Abermain Substation
- TransGrid PSCR Managing Sydney East substation’s asset risks
- Powerlink Project Assessment Conclusions Report (PACR) to address the secondary system condition risks at Palmwoods Substation
- Project Assessment Conclusions Report – Addressing the secondary systems condition risks at Tarong Substation
- Project Specification Consultation Report - Maintaining power transfer capability and reliability of supply at Woree Substation
Powerlink has recently published a ‘Project Assessment Conclusions Report’ (PACR) to maintain reliability of supply in the Brisbane Metropolitan area.
The West Darra to Rocklea and South Pine to Upper Kedron transmission lines are 110kV double circuit lines that form part of the Greater Brisbane transmission network with the South Pine and Rocklea Substations providing the high voltage injection points for the western part of the Greater Brisbane area.
Originally constructed in 1963, the lines are nearing the end of their technical service lives, with the majority of structures exhibiting advanced corrosion, presenting an increased risk of mechanical failure, particularly in storm and severe wind conditions. The earth wires are also not sufficiently rated to cater for the continuing growth in fault levels over time.
In November 2018 Powerlink published a ‘Project Specification Consultation Report’ (PSCR) identifying the proposed preferred option to address the risks and claiming exemption from producing a ‘Project Assessment Draft Report’ as allowed for under NER Clause 5.16.4(z1). There were no submissions received in response to the PSCR which closed in February 2019. As a result, no additional credible options that could deliver a material market benefit have been identified and the outcomes of the economic analysis contained in the PACR remain unchanged from those published in the PSCR.
The PACR recommends implementation of the Base Option, a two-stage refit of the lines by December 2028, with a complete rebuild by December 2043. The RIT-T project for the Base Option involves the refit of selected components by December 2020 with an estimated capital cost of $4.55 million in 2018/19 prices. Powerlink is the proponent of the proposed network project.
In accordance with the requirements of the Rules, a summary of the PACR has been made available on AEMO’s website. A copy of the PACR can be obtained from the Powerlink Website on the RIT-T Consultations page or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Any enquiries should be directed to:
Manager Network and Alternate Solutions
PO Box 1193
VIRGINIA, QLD 4014
Tel: (+617) 3860 2328