Graduate Development Program
AEMO’s hugely successful three-year Graduate Development Program (GDP) is designed to empower employees to actively shape their future and build a rewarding career in the energy industry.
Applications for the Australian Energy Market Operator’s (AEMO) 2019 Graduate Development Program have now closed.
Are you looking for a career that can change the lives of every day Australians?
Recognised as one the nation’s top 100 graduate employers in 2017, our program puts graduates on the frontline of Australia’s evolving energy industry, as we help operate, manage and evolve Australia’s gas and electricity sectors.
The three-year Graduate Development Program means that graduates will participate in four nine-month rotations around the business, as they grow and develop their skills with the guidance of their very own buddy and mentor. With new technologies like batteries, smart homes, and an increasing amount of renewable generation emerging all over Australia (and the globe), our program is perfect for the next wave of innovative engineers, IT gurus, economists, scientists and renewable energy enthusiasts who are ready to tackle some of the biggest energy challenges we’re seeing today.
AEMO is responsible for ensuring all Australians have access to a secure and reliable supply of energy 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. We operate the National Electricity Market (NEM) that services Queensland, New South Wales, Victoria, Tasmania, and the Australian Capital Territory and the Wholesale Electricity Market in Western Australia. We also manage gas markets in every state except Tasmania and Northern Territory and operate Victoria’s gas system. At AEMO we also have an important advisory and planning role where we provide expert advice to state and federal governments around system management, investment decisions and infrastructure.
Some of the exciting tasks AEMO is working on now include:
- Improving the accuracy of wind and solar forecasting.
- Registering and connecting new energy generation sources.
- Reviewing and advising on current energy market rules and processes.
- Providing planning and advice on integrating new energy technologies.
Along with a strong interest in Australia’s evolving energy sector, you will enjoy working in a challenging environment, have excellent communication skills, demonstrate good initiative and display highly developed analytical and problem-solving skills.
Applications are open to graduates who have recently completed their degrees or are due to do so in 2018.
Applicable areas of study and qualification would include:
- IT/Architecture with an emphasis on application enhancement, software engineering, infrastructure to energy platforms
- Engineering - electrical /chemical with a focus on power systems and/or gas operations
- Economics/Econometricians including analysis of energy market trends, market design, supply and demand, market behaviour and regulatory policy
- Maths/Science with a focus on analytical forecasting, statistical modellers and planning
- Energy Systems and Renewables
Supporting a diverse workforce
AEMO strongly believes in supporting a diverse and inclusive workplace that welcomes people from all cultures, ethnicities, religions and genders. As a supporter of Harmony Day, our latest survey shows our employee base to be rich in variety, with over forty cultural backgrounds and more than sixty languages represented. We are also focused on being an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourage women and candidates from Indigenous or Torres Strait Islander descent.
How to apply