AEMO is conducting a consultation on an amendment to the Energy Conversion Model (ECM) Guidelines.
The Energy Conversion Model (ECM) for:
- Wind forecasting outlines the data required to develop forecasting modules for wind farms in the Australian Wind Energy Forecasting System (AWEFS).
- Solar forecasting outlines the data required to develop forecasting modules for solar farms in the Australian Solar Energy Forecasting System (ASEFS).
The ECM identifies the energy output that can be expected from a farm based on ambient conditions at the farm’s location. As part of the Registration process, all new farms connecting to the National Electricity Market (NEM) are required to submit an ECM. The model must contain the information set out in the guidelines published by AEMO in accordance with clause 2.2.7(d) of the National Electricity Rules (NER).
The objective of this consultation is to propose a change that will add a new SCADA signal to handle local limits in a dispatch timeframe. This will allow limits to be managed during periods of outages and other local limitations.
Final Report and Determination
- Energy Conversion Model Guidelines Consultation - 2016 Final Report and Determination
- Guidance Document
For the current Energy Conversion Model Guidelines for Wind and Solar please view the Solar and Wind energy forecasting page on AEMOs website.
Update – 29 September 2016
AEMO advises participants that the Energy Conversion Model Guidelines Consultation will be extended to include a third round of consultation, to allow for proposing an additional AWEFS signal to be defined.
This decision is based on substantial feedback in submissions to stage 2 of the consultation. Feedback included that some participants would like to provide a signal to incorporate all factors affecting wind farm operation, including wind speed, extreme wind direction change and dynamic effects of turbine pausing and feathering.
In addition, the Second Stage Report will now be published on 14 October 2016 (originally 7 October 2016) to allow for incorporating the complexity of issues raised in the second stage submissions and discussions.
Revised consultation timeline as at 29 September 2016:
|Pre-Consultation Forum||23 February 2016||Complete|
|Draft Issues Paper and Notice of Consultation||18 March 2016||Complete|
|Submissions Close||27 May 2016||Complete|
|Draft Report and Notice of Consultation||02 August 2016||Complete|
|Submissions Close||25 August 2016||Complete|
|Second Draft Report||14 October 2016||Complete|
|Submissions Close||04 November 2016||Complete|
|Final Report and ECM Guidelines||09 December 2016||Complete|
Third stage consultation
Stage 3 Submissions
- ECM Stage 3 Consultation - AER
- ECM Stage 3 Consultation - AGL
- ECM Stage 3 Consultation - Clean Energy Council
- ECM Stage 3 Consultation - Infigen Energy
- ECM Stage 3 Consultation - Joint Response
- ECM Stage 3 Consultation - Pacific Hydro
- ECM Stage 3 Consultation - Woolnorth
Second stage consultation
Stage 2 Submissions
- ECM Stage 2 Consultation - AER
- ECM Stage 2 Consultation - AGL
- ECM Stage 2 Consultation - Clean Energy Council revised
- ECM Stage 2 Consultation - Clean Energy Council
- ECM Stage 2 Consultation - CWPR
- ECM Stage 2 Consultation - Infigen
- ECM Stage 2 Consultation - Pacific Hydro
- AEMO - Infigen AGL Pacific Hydro 8 September 2016
- Wind and Solar ECM Guidelines Consultation Update September 2016
- Energy Conversion Model (ECM) Guidelines consultation update meeting 260916 - final
First stage consultation
|Energy Conversion Model (ECM) Guidelines pre-consultation meeting 23 Feb 2016
18 March 2016 | 40.1 KB (.pdf)
|Energy Conversion Model Guidelines Consultation - 2016 Issues Paper
18 March 2016 | 210 KB (.pdf)
|Notice of First Stage of Rules Consultation on amendments to The Energy Conversion Model Guidelines 2016
18 March 2016 | 163 KB (.pdf)
Stage 1 Submissions
- ECM Stage 1 Consultation - AGL
- ECM Stage 1 Consultation - Boco Rock WF - CWPR
- ECM Stage 1 Consultation - Mussleroe
- ECM Stage 1 Consultation - Pacific Hydro
- ECM Stage 1 Consultation - Taralga WF - CWPR
- ECM Stage 1 Consultation - Infigen Energy
- ECM Stage 1 Consultation - Vestas
Any queries on this consultation, please contact Craig Price (Group Manager, Forecasting) email@example.com