Transgrid PSCR Managing the Risk of Corrosion between Marulan and Dapto on Line 8
In this section
In this section
- TransGrid Project Assessment Conclusions Report: Maintaining a reliable Upper Tumut substation
- SA Power Networks release new version of their Demand Side Engagement Document
- Douglas Shire Non-network options report
- TransGrid Project Assessment Conclusions Report: Managing safety and environmental risks from corrosion on Line 959/92Z
- Powerlink Queensland - Summary of PADR - Maintaining reliability of supply between Clare South and Townsville South
- ElectraNet Project Specification Consultation Report Managing the risk of protection relay failure
- Powerlink Queensland Project Assessment Conclusions Report Maintaining reliability of supply at Kamerunga Substation
- ElectraNet Project Specification Consultation Report - Managing the Risk of Isolator Failure Project Regulatory Investment Test for Transmission
- TransGrid Publishes TAPR 2019
- Powerlink Queensland Project Specification Consultation Report Addressing the secondary systems condition risks at Kemmis
- Powerlink Queensland Project Specification Consultation Report Addressing the secondary systems condition risks at Mudgeeraba
- Reinforcing the New South Wales Southern Shared Network to increase transfer capacity to the state’s demand centres
- Managing the Sydney East substation’s asset risks
- Maintaining compliance with performance standards applicable to Wagga 330 kV substation secondary systems
- Maintaining compliance with performance standards applicable to Deniliquin substation secondary systems
- Powerlink Queensland - Project Specification Consultation Report - Maintaining reliability of supply in the Blackwater area
- Powerlink Queensland Project Specification Consultation Report - Maintaining power transfer capability and reliability of supply at Lilyvale
- Maintaining compliance with performance standards applicable to Haymarket substation secondary systems
- Maintaining a reliable Static Var Compensator at Lismore
- Powerlink Queensland - Project Assessment Draft Report - Maintaining reliability of supply at Kamerunga Substation
TransGrid has recently published a Project Specification Consultation Report for Managing the Risk of Corrosion between Marulan and Dapto on Line 8.
Constructed in 1956 and 1962, Line 8 is one of the key 330 kV transmission lines linking Southern New South Wales with the Wollongong and Sydney load centres.
The line itself traverses through farmland, national park areas, climbing from the coastal plain up the Illawarra Escarpment. Owing to the nature of the terrain traversed by Line 8, the failure of the corroding transmission structures and/or physical conductor drops presents bushfire risks and safety risks. While these risks have an inherently low probability, the consequences can be catastrophic.
As part of TransGrid’s ongoing routine asset monitoring maintenance, it has been revealed that many of the 175 transmission structures on Line 8 are now experiencing corrosion, including steel towers, insulators, conductor fittings and conductor/earth wire.
TransGrid considers that the only feasible option from a technological and project delivery perspective is replacing or refurbishing corroded components in one stage.
The estimated capital cost of the proposed preferred option is $6.1 million.
In accordance with the requirements of the Rules, a summary of the Project Specification Consultation Report is made available on the AEMO website. A copy of the Project Specification Consultation Report can be obtained from TransGrid Website on the RIT-T Consultations page or by emailing RIT-TConsultations@TransGrid.com.au
Submissions Project Specification Consultation Report are required by the closing date of 12 December 2018.
- PSCR summary report (1.4 MB, pdf)