Primary Frequency Response under Normal Operating Conditions
In this section
In this section
- 2020 Planning and Forecasting Consultation on scenarios inputs and assumptions
- Consultation on proposed amendments to the Guidelines for Preparing Local Black System Procedures (LBSP)
- Draft 2020 ISP - Actionable ISP Projects Call for Non-Network Options Consultation
- Enhancements to RERT rule change - Update to Procedures
- Manual Load Shedding Standard
- NEM Customer Switching Consultation
- Settlements Guide to Ancillary Services Payment and Recovery Consultation
- B2B Procedures v3.4 Consultation
- Five Minute Settlement - Procedure for the Dispatch and Activation of Reserve Contracts
- Five-Minute Settlement – Metering Procedure Changes (Package 3)
- Declared NEM Project – 5MS Program
- Primary Frequency Response under Normal Operating Conditions
- Dispatch Procedures (Spot Market, Non-Rules Consultation Package)
- Dispatch – Miscellaneous procedures (non-rules consultation)
- 2019 Planning and Forecasting Consultation
- Book Build Procedure Consultation
- Five-Minute Settlement – Metering Procedure Changes (Package 2)
- Procedures For Directions And Instructions Consultation
- Spot Market Operations Timetable
- Metering ICF Package Consultation
Australian Energy Market Operator (AEMO) is conducting a consultation on proposed amendments to the Causer Pays Procedure and the Market Ancillary Services Specification (MASS) to complement Rule Changes related to the provision of Primary Frequency Response (PFR).
This consultation is being conducted under clauses 3.15.6A(k) and 3.11.2(b) of the National Electricity Rules (NER), in accordance with the Rules consultation requirements detailed in rule 8.9 of the NER.
AEMO has recently submitted two proposals to the Australian Energy Market Commission (AEMC) requesting to amend the NER to facilitate the provision of PFR by Generators under normal operating conditions. The first proposal aims to remove disincentives and inconsistencies in the NER that are impeding the provision of more PFR in the NEM under normal operating conditions. The second proposal relates to mandatory PFR requirements for all scheduled and semi-scheduled Generators. AEMO’s proposals, and the AEMC’s Consultation Paper can be found at on the AEMC's website under Proposed Rules to better control power system frequency.
Amongst other changes, Rule Change Proposal ERC0263 (Removal of disincentives to primary frequency response) proposes to amend clause 3.15.6(k) to align the requirements of the Causer Pays Procedure with the intent of the ‘causer pays’ process, as stated in clause 3.15.6A(k)(1).
AEMO has published a marked-up consultation draft of the Causer Pays Procedure with this notice, and an Issues Paper on the MASS. The proposed changes are:
- The Causer Pays Procedure will specify requirements for the provision of PFR that, if met by a Generator, will result in that Generator not receiving a negative ‘causer pays’ factor.
- The MASS should be altered so that the Contingency FCAS requirements do not incentivise a delay in the delivery of PFR.
This consultation will be limited to the changes identified in this notice, and the draft Causer Pays Procedure. In the coming months, AEMO intends to:
- Carry out a more extensive review and consultation on the Causer Pays Procedure; and
- Redraft the MASS and consult on various other changes associated with that document.
Indicative Consultation timeline
Status Closing date for submissions in response to this Notice**
6 December 2019
Publication of Draft Report and Determination
9 January 2020
Closing date for submissions in response to the Draft Report and Determination**
24 January 2020
Publication of Final Report and Determination
6 March 2020
** Submissions provided after the closing date will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
AEMO invites comments on the proposed changes contained within the Notice of First Stage of Consultation, amended Causer Pays Procedure and MASS Issues Paper. These documents are provided below.
Submissions in response to the Notice should be forwarded to AEMO by 5:00pm (Melbourne time) on Friday 6 December 2019.
- Notice of First Stage of Consultation (203 KB, pdf)
- Proposed changes to Regulation FCAS Contribution Factors Procedure (747KB, pdf)
First Stage Submissions
- AGL Submission - MASS Issues Paper - PFR Under Normal Operating Conditions (82KB, pdf)
- CS Energy to AEMO - Primary Frequency Response within NOFB 9-12-2019 (544KB, pdf)
- Delta Submission - AEMO Consultation on MASS and CP (277KB, pdf)
- EA Submission - MASS Consultation - Nov Issues Paper (69KB, pdf)
- ERM Submission - CP and MASS Consult (262KB, pdf)
- HydroTas - Submission to AEMO Causer Pays and MASS Consultation December 2019 Final (835KB, pdf)
- Infigen - PFR Response Under NOFB Submission (222KB, pdf)
- MEA Powershop Submission - PFR Under Normal Operating Conditions Final (90KB, pdf)
- Origin - Submission to MASS Issues Paper - December 2019 (73KB, pdf)
- Stanwell Response to Initial Consultation on MASS - Final Version (100KB, pdf)