As the independent energy market operator, having a website that’s clear, easy to navigate and useful is critical for our stakeholders.
That’s why we’re excited to announce that we’ll soon be launching our redeveloped aemo.com.au site that will contain a brand-new design and features to improve your digital experience.
The redevelopment project is in line with our overarching Digital Strategy, which is committed to delivering a modern digital platform that will provide a frictionless, secure and scalable digital experience that unlocks new value in the market for consumers, and facilitates innovation for the benefit of members/participants, third parties, employees and consumers. This website redevelopment is just phase one of this overarching strategy, which will go on to deliver value to our internal and external stakeholders in other technology spaces.
To ensure we’re releasing a quality product, we've adopted a design-thinking approach to the website’s redevelopment and have consulted extensively with external and internal users over the past six months. By placing your perspective at the centre of our design process, we have been able to create and test solutions that satisfy your needs and improve your user experience
Based on feedback from our stakeholders, we’ve focused on seven key areas to address as part of this redevelopment, and we’re excited to share the improvements we’ve made. The seven key areas are:
- Refreshing the look and feel – we’ve taken the best elements of our Energy Live site, built upon them, and extended them to the entire aemo.com.au website. To ensure you’re getting a clean, and easy-to-understand visual experience we’ve also revamped our landing and subpages, to provide a more coherent and clear presentation of our information.
- Improved navigation architecture - The Information Architecture (IA) is the backbone of a website. It identifies and defines the site content and how it’s organised and structured. We’ve thought long and hard about this and developed an entirely new navigation architecture that groups our information in a clear, and organised fashion.
- Better internal linking – when you work in such a complex industry, having strategic, structured linking that supports common user journeys and information needs is critical. We’ve developed new tools that will connect the dots for you, ensuring you’re getting a holistic experience no matter where you land.
- Improved content discoverability – we’ve improved the functionality of our search by adding in filters, tags and metadata that will capture the content you need, when you need it most. We’ve also refreshed how our search displays results, meaning you will be able to get more quality results at a glance.
- Standardised data presentation – the data dashboards have been refreshed in line with our sites new design. We’ve also added in a new fuel mix chart for National Electricity Market, like the one that exists in the Wholesale Electricity Market chart.
- Personalised user experience – by using cookies, our site will be able to collect data on your most viewed content and personalise the page for your next visit. That way the content you’re after can sit front-and-centre when you need it, reducing your need to search.
- Reports and procedures libraries – when you’re the nation’s market operator, providing insightful reports and documents becomes a big part of what you do. To ensure you’re able to get the content you need when you need it, we’ve created a new content library that will be a one-stop-shop for all our major documents.
The redeveloped site will also absorb the previously separate energylive.aemo.com.au site into the aemo.com.au home location. The Energy Live brand, content and mobile application will continue to exist and be updated but will instead be housed under a ‘news’ section in our redeveloped site’s navigation bar. If you have energylive.aemo.com.au bookmarked, you will automatically be redirected to the redeveloped site’s News section.
After months of hard work behind the scenes, we’re excited to launch this new site so be sure to watch this space for more updates!
Website fun facts for aemo.com.au
- Total page views in the past five years: 19.3 million
- Total visitors in the past five years: 1.54 million
- Total visitors in the 12 months to June 2019: 0.45 million
- Total page views in the 12 months to June 2019: 3.8 million
- Visitor location: 73% of our visitors were from Australia