National Transmission Network Development Plan
In this section
In this section
The National Transmission Network Development Plan (NTNDP) provides an independent, strategic view of the efficient development of the National Electricity Market (NEM) transmission grid over a 20-year planning horizon.
AEMO publishes the annual NTNDP as part of its role as national transmission planner under the National Electricity Law, in accordance with clause 5.20.2 of the National Electricity Rules.
Published on 12 December, the 2016 NTNDP:
- Highlights the importance of strategically assessing the future needs of the NEM transmission grid.
- Provides an assessment of an appropriate course for the efficient development of the national transmission grid under a range of scenarios.
- Reflects on the evolution of transmission development, with the industry entering a new era for transmission planning.
- Examines how the changing generation mix could impact network development, power system security, and the utilisation of major transmission lines in the next 20 years.
- Proposes a range of possible solutions to effectively manage the power system into the future.
- Identifies whether further Network Support and Control Ancillary Services (NSCAS) are required to manage power system security and reliability in the next five years.
The 2016 NTNDP publication material includes:
- 2016 National Transmission Network Development Plan – full report
- Data shown visually on a new interactive map
- 2016 NTNDP Infographic
- 2016 NTNDP Database, providing the supporting modelling data and input assumptions.
Stakeholder engagement for the 2016 NTNDP
AEMO received stakeholder input to the planning process for the 2016 NTNDP in two ways:
- Through a formal consultation process, in accordance with clause 5.20.1 of the National Electricity Rules.
- Through the NTNDP Technical Working Group.
In January 2016 AEMO published a Consultation Paper for the NTNDP to begin the formal consultation process consultation:
In February 2016 AEMO held an open-invite workshop to discuss the 2016 Consultation paper. The minutes from this workshop are published below:
AEMO subsequently received four written submissions to this Consultation paper, from:
In August 2016 AEMO published its response to consultation, outlining how it will take into account the material points raised in the submissions and the Consultation workshop when preparing the 2016 NTNDP.
In September 2016, AEMO received a late consultation submission from AusNet Services supporting a Victorian Solution for South Australia’s Energy Transformation.
AEMO has addressed this submission in the 2016 NTNDP report.
An interactive map to complement the 2015 NTNDP can be accessed here Interactive Map .
2015 National Transmission Network Development Plan - supporting material.ARCHIVE
2014 NTNDP and supporting material2014 Generation expansion plan
2013 NTNDP and supporting material
2012 NTNDP and supporting material2012 Annual planning reports project summary