Strategic priorities and projects
Our world is changing at speed and scale, and ongoing change is expected to dominate Australia’s energy future. Traditional power system operations, regulations and market functions are being challenged as the provision of secure and reliable energy becomes more complex.
AEMO is embracing this future.
We are reshaping in response to our rapidly changing environment with an increased focus on delivering efficient, impactful outcomes for the benefit of all energy consumers. This means we are committed to greater transparency, commercial accountability and effective collaboration across the sector.
The AEMO Board and Executive have identified four high-priority areas that would shape AEMO’s strategic journey to deliver our core obligations, responsibilities and major workstreams.
In our FY2024 Corporate Plan, we reaffirm the importance of each of the four priority areas. AEMO remains unwavering in our pursuit of these priorities. They will ensure we deliver our core obligations and responsibilities to the Australian energy industry, while simultaneously preparing for the energy systems and markets of the future. These priorities will drive critical change in the way we operate.
Priority 1: Operating today’s systems and markets
Deliver our core responsibilities in accordance with electricity, gas and other laws and regulations.
- System and market operations: ensure Australia's energy systems and markets can be securely and reliably operated under all foreseeable conditions.
- System and market insights: monitor energy system and market performance and share intelligence to improve day-to-day operations.
- System and market technologies: leverage technological innovations, uplift systems and invest in advanced analytics and forecasting capabilities to improve the operational efficiency and reliability of energy systems and markets.
- Business resilience: strengthen the reliability and security of AEMO’s systems through programs covering protection, detection, response, and recovery.
Priority 2: Navigating the energy future
Support and deliver mandated reforms and improvements to critical systems and markets efficiently, cooperatively and cost-effectively.
- Energy System design: identify, communicate, and consult on critical operational issues, and plan and advise on future energy system needs.
- Reform delivery: efficiently and effectively deliver mandated and essential reform programs, with a strong focus on efficiency and reducing costs to industry and consumers.
- Reform collaboration: proactively support the energy transition through collaboratively working to meet emerging challenges, lower costs, and capture opportunities.
- Future energy system connections: transparently inform, cooperate and provide timely responses to all participants throughout the connection process while seeking improvements and streamlining.
- Jurisdictional service delivery: provide advice and undertake functions as required by member jurisdictions, producing high-quality services at no cost to and minimal distraction from core obligations.
Priority 3: Engaging our stakeholders
Be a trusted partner working with our members and stakeholders, to deliver better outcomes for energy consumers.
- Meet and exceed stakeholder expectations: actively engage, listen and respond to feedback from our members and stakeholders, motivated by a strong energy consumer focus and continually improve the stakeholder experience.
- Accessibility and communications: make AEMO’s analysis and information accessible to a broader audience.
- Government engagement and support models: engagement and support models appropriately service individual Governments and help to advance their energy objectives.
Priority 4: Evolving the way we work
Be an adaptive, commercial and consumer-focused organisation.
- Role and values: ensure our programs, investments, prioritised areas of focus and behaviours align with AEMO’s role and values.
- Talent, capabilities and culture: strive to be an inclusive, adaptive and stakeholder focused organisation, attracting, empowering, developing, and retaining, talent for AEMO’s current and future business requirements.
- Efficiency and effectiveness: constantly work to drive efficiency and effectiveness across all aspects of our business and operate with a customer and commercial focus.
- Financial health: strengthen AEMO’s financial health to effectively respond to and manage strategic and operational risks and deliver energy industry reforms.