Victorian Reactive Power Support regulatory investment test for transmission
Strategic planning of our power system is crucial to making smart, informed decisions in the long-term interests of Australian energy consumers. AEMO is undertaking the Victorian Reactive Power Support Regulatory Investment Test for Transmission (RIT-T) to assess the technical and economic benefits of delivering additional reactive power support in Victoria.
The RIT-T process is a regulatory mechanism that applies an economic cost-benefit test on new transmission electricity infrastructure proposed for the NEM. It is designed to identify the most economically efficient infrastructure investment option, so the investment meets the long-term needs of consumers.
The RIT-T process requires transmission network planners considering significant investment in new transmission infrastructure to publish three reports:
- The Project Specification Consultation Report (PSCR) seeks feedback and advice on the identified need for new transmission infrastructure.
- The Project Assessment Draft Report (PADR) identifies and seeks feedback on the preferred investment option.
- The Project Assessment Conclusions Report (PACR) presents the transmission planner’s recommended solution to deliver the highest net economic benefit and intended course of action.
Project Assessment Conclusion Report
AEMO published the Project Assessment Conclusion Report PACR (1.28 MB, pdf) for this RIT-T in December 2019.
The PACR is the third and final report in the Victorian Reactive Power Support RIT-T process. It identifies the investment option to manage network voltages in Victoria under low demand conditions and deliver the highest net market benefit.
Please see below additional supporting documentation to the PACR:
- Attachment A: PACR Input Assumptions (85 KB, xls)
- Attachment B: PACR Market Benefits (433 KB, xlsx)
- Attachment C: PACR Load Duration Curves (12 MB, xlsx)
Project Assessment Draft Report
AEMO published the Project Assessment Draft Report PADR (1.28 MB, pdf) for this RIT-T in June 2019.
The PADR represents step two of the consultation process for this RIT-T. The report assesses and identifies the preferred investment option which delivers the greatest net market benefits.
Please see below additional supporting documentation to the PADR:
- Attachment A: Market Benefits Calculator (164 KB, xls)
- Victorian Reactive Power Support PADR Input Assumptions (4.6 MB, xlsx)
- Victorian Reactive Power Support PADR Capacity Outlook (30 KB, xlsx)
Please see below non-confidential submissions to the PADR:
- AusNet submission to the PADR (116 KB, pdf)
- EnergyAustralia submission to the PADR (206 KB, pdf)
- Major Energy Users submission to the PADR (112 KB, pdf)
- Mondo submission to the PADR (150 KB, pdf)
Project Specification Consultation Report
AEMO published the PSCR (446 KB, pdf) for this RIT-T in May 2018, and a subsequent request for information (RFI) from non-market ancillary service providers in July 2018.
AEMO is committed to working with industry, government, investors and consumers to secure and shape Australia’s energy future in the long-term interests of consumers. We value your feedback and advice on this RIT-T and are committed to ongoing dialogue with our stakeholders.
We will continue to provide updates as we move through this program and welcome your thoughts via our stakeholder engagement activities which will be announced on this page in the coming months. For more information, contact Planning@aemo.com.au.