AEMO intend to update the Emergency Procedures (Gas) which is made under the National Gas (Victoria) Act 2008 (the Act), section 53. The Procedures are a component of the Gas Emergency Protocol (Protocol) which has three parts:
- Emergency Procedures (Gas) (Procedures);
- Gas Load Curtailment and Gas Rationing and Recovery Guidelines (Guidelines); and
- Curtailment List.
AEMO must consult with Registered participants in making the Protocol under the Act, section 53, and Registered participants must comply with a Protocol published by AEMO under the Act, section 55.
AEMO propose to update the Procedures to:
- align with the proposed Guidelines as detailed in the industry consultation process conducted between April and June 2022, and that are intended to become effective from January 2023;
- improve clarity of the Procedures scope;
- distinguish between a response to a threat and a response to an emergency; and
- enhance detail on the responsibilities and communication flow between organisations.
AEMO have posted a draft of the proposed Procedures, and will provide 30 business days for stakeholders to provide submissions to those Procedures. Submissions should include consideration of if the Procedures adequately:
- classify gas emergencies into categories having regard to their scale, effect, or any other relevant matter or circumstance;
- describe the actions to be taken by AEMO, Energy Safe Victoria, Registered participants, and any other relevant party for each category of gas emergency;
- provides for how gas emergencies are to be managed and by whom; and
- provides for any other matter relating to a gas emergency.
Submissions must be provided by no later than the 5pm AEST on 31 August 2022 and be made to GWCF_Correspondence@aemo.com.au with “Emergency Procedures (Gas) ” in the email title.