Australian Energy Market Operator (AEMO) is conducting a consultation on the proposed amendments to the Market Settlement and Transfer Solutions (MSATS) procedures in response to the Australian Energy Market Commission's (AEMC's) draft determination for the Reducing Customer Switching rule change.
This consultation is being conducted in accordance with the Rules consultation requirements detailed in clause 8.9 of the National Electricity Rules (NER).
On 3rd December 2018, the AEMC in conjunction with AEMO provided joint advice (477 KB, pdf) to the COAG Energy Council Standing Committee of Officials regarding the implementation options for recommendations 8 and 9 of the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission’s (ACCC’s) Retail Electricity Pricing final report (9.21 MB, pdf).
The AEMC and AEMO advice proposed a number of actions to improve the existing customer transfer process. These proposed actions were broader than the recommendations proposed by the ACCC. The proposed actions included the provision by AEMO of a High-Level Design (HLD), and associated rule changes, for a customer transfer process that streamlines existing procedures and improves customer outcomes and competition in the National Electricity Market (NEM) retail market.
On 24 May 2019, the AEMO submitted a rule change request (1.1 MB, pdf) (including the proposed HLD) to the AEMC to amend the NER and the National Energy Retail Rules (NERR). The rule change and proposed HLD has been submitted to the AEMC to support the delivery of reducing customer transfer times, by making procedural changes to improve customer transfer processes.
On 4 July 2019, the AEMC commenced the Reducing Customer Switching consultation on AEMO’s rule change request.
Indicative* Consultation Timeline
||21 August 2019||Completed
|Initial Draft Procedures, Issues Paper and Notice of Consultation
||17 October 2019
||22 November 2019
|Draft Report and Notice of Consultation (indicative)
||20 December 2019
||29 January 2020
|Final Report and Determination
||11 March 2020
** Submissions provided after the closing date will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Please reach out to NEM.Retailprocedureconsultations@aemo.com.au if you have any questions.
Matter under Consultation
Second stage submissions
AusNet Services287.18 KB
CitiPower Powercor116.18 KB
Endeavour Energy36.88 KB
Energy Queensland336.83 KB
ERM Power272.84 KB
MEA Powershop97.91 KB
Origin Energy310.11 KB
Public Interest Advocacy Centre89.81 KB
PLUS ES76.1 KB
Red Energy and Lumo Energy293.71 KB
SA Power Networks314.75 KB
Tango Energy328.72 KB
United Energy116.46 KB
Second stage consultation documents
- NEM Customer Switching Draft Determination (2.1 MB, pdf)
- Participant Response Template (93 KB, docx)
- MSATS Procedures – CATS v4.9 Draft Determination Change Marked (4.0 MB, pdf)
- MSATS Procedures – CATS v4.9 Draft Determination Clean (2.7 MB, pdf)
- MSATS Procedures – WIGS v4.9 Draft Determination Change Marked (1.9 MB, pdf)
- MSATS Procedures – WIGS v4.9 Draft Determination Clean (1.7 MB, pdf)
- MDFF Specification NEM12 NEM13 v1.07 Draft Determination Change Marked (937 KB, pdf)
- MDFF Specification NEM12 NEM13 v1.07 Draft Determination Clean (827 KB, pdf)
- Glossary and Framework v2.3 Draft Determination Change Marked (641 KB, pdf)
- Glossary and Framework v2.3 Draft Determination Clean (675 KB, pdf)
First Stage Submissions
- ACT Civil and Administrative Tribunal (187 KB, pdf)
- AGL Energy (144 KB, pdf)
- Ausgrid (241 KB, pdf)
- AusNet Services (303 KB, pdf)
- Australian Energy Council (585 KB, pdf)
- CitiPower Powercor (120 KB, pdf)
- Endeavour Energy (65 KB, pdf)
- Energy Australia (287 KB, pdf)
- Energy Consumers Australia (135 KB, pdf)
- Energy Queensland (358 KB, pdf)
- ERM Power (219 KB, pdf)
- Evoenergy (745 KB, pdf)
- IntelliHUB Group (235 KB, pdf)
- MEA Powershop (126 KB, pdf)
- Momentum Energy (381 KB, pdf)
- Origin Energy (392 KB, pdf)
- PLUS ES (316 KB, pdf)
- Powermetric (259 KB, pdf)
- Public Interest Advocacy Centre (121 KB, pdf)
- Red Energy / Lumo Energy (255 KB, pdf)
- SA Power Networks (259 KB, pdf)
- Simply Energy (329 KB, pdf)
- Tango Energy (472 KB, pdf)
- TasNetworks (1.3 MB, pdf)
- United Energy (120 KB, pdf)
- Vector Metering (255 KB, pdf)
First Stage Consultation Documents
AEMO invites comments on the proposed changes contained within the Notice of First Stage of Consultation and Issues Paper.
Submissions should be forwarded to AEMO by 5:00pm (Melbourne time) on Friday 22 November 2019.
- Notice of First Stage Consultation (99.4 KB, pdf)
- NEM Customer Switching Issues Paper (526 KB, pdf)
- Participant Response Template – First Stage (95.5 KB, doc)
Note: To help stakeholders and other interested parties respond to this Issues Paper, AEMO has published a track changed version of MSATS CATS and MDFF procedures. The CATS Procedure and MDFF Specification reflect potential solutions that AEMO particularly has in mind, from among the various options on which AEMO is consulting with an open mind, as articulated in the Issues Paper.
- MSATS Procedures – CATS v4.9 Initial Draft change marked (3.8 MB, pdf)
- MSATS Procedures – CATS v4.9 Initial Draft clean (2.9 MB, pdf)
- MDFF Specification NEM12 NEM13 v1.07 Initial Draft change marked (934 KB, pdf)
- MDFF Specification NEM12 NEM13 v1.07 Initial Draft clean (826 KB, pdf)